"BUTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Loes, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the E. of Woodbridge, its post town, which is also a station on the East Suffolk railway. A projected branch from Woodbridge to Yoxford will pass near Butley. The parish is situated on the W. bank of the Butley river, or creek, a branch of the Alde, and was the site of a priory of the Dominican order, founded about 1171 by the great lawyer and Lord Chief Justice of England, Ranulph de Glanville. This monastery, subsequently rebuilt by William de Auberville, a descendant of the founder, was richly endowed, and had a revenue at the Dissolution of £319. There are some remains of the buildings, which covered about 12 acres of ground. The gatehouse is almost perfect, and a part is occupied as a residence. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value with that of Capel St. Andrew annexed, £135, in the patronage of the trustees of P. J. Thellusson, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John Baptist. There are some charities of trifling value."
"TANGHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Butley, hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)