"CARLTON, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, in the county of Suffolk, close to Saxmundham, its post town, and near the East Suffolk railway, on which Saxmundham is a station. It was the site of a chantry founded about the middle of the 10th century. The living is a rectory consolidated with that of Kelsale, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and possesses two monumental brasses. The charitable endowments, consisting of the town estate and several bequests for the poor, produce about £60 per annum. The principal mansion is Carlton Hall."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)