"CARLTON-COLVILLE, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, in the county of Suffolk, 3½ miles to the S.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 137 from London by rail, or 110 by road. It is pleasantly situated on a height near the sea-coast, on the S. side of the river Waveney, and is about 1½ mile from the Mutford station on the East Suffolk railway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £345, in the patronage of W. Andrews, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is an ancient edifice with square embattled tower and south porch. The organ was built by subscription in 1852. The old register was destroyed by fire, so that the earliest date is about 1715. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, and a National school was erected in 1843. Sir Samuel Morton Pete, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)