"CAVENDISH, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles N.W. of the railway station at Sudbury, which is its post town. It is situated on the river Stour. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £733, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice in the perpendicular style of architecture, and contains a brass to the Cavendishes, and an old tomb. There is a school for boys endowed with £30, founded in 1696 by the Rev. Thomas Grey. The family of Cavendish, whose ancestors have filled such prominent places in the history of this kingdom, take their name from this place. They were originally an offshoot of the Gernons of Essex. On the 11th June a cattle fair is held here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Cemetery, The Green, Cemetery
- Chapel [now URC], Lower Street, Independent
- St Mary, Peacocks Road, Church of England
- Churches in Cavendish:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cavendish area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Cavendish has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.