"CAVENDISH, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles N.W. of the railway station at Sudbury, which is its post town. It is situated on the river Stour. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £733, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice in the perpendicular style of architecture, and contains a brass to the Cavendishes, and an old tomb. There is a school for boys endowed with £30, founded in 1696 by the Rev. Thomas Grey. The family of Cavendish, whose ancestors have filled such prominent places in the history of this kingdom, take their name from this place. They were originally an offshoot of the Gernons of Essex. On the 11th June a cattle fair is held here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)