"CHEDISTON, (or Cheston), a parish in the hundred of Blything, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Halesworth, its post town and railway station. Part of the parish is unenclosed, and there are 30 acres of town lands. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Halesworth, in the diocese of Norwich, in the patronage of Mrs. Jos. Badeley. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. The charities amount to about £49 per annum. F. J. Ridsdale and J. Crabtree, Esqrs. are lords of the manor. Chediston Hall, the seat of Thomas Rant, Esq., is a fine edifice of the Elizabethan style.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)