"CHEDISTON, (or Cheston), a parish in the hundred of Blything, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Halesworth, its post town and railway station. Part of the parish is unenclosed, and there are 30 acres of town lands. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Halesworth, in the diocese of Norwich, in the patronage of Mrs. Jos. Badeley. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. The charities amount to about £49 per annum. F. J. Ridsdale and J. Crabtree, Esqrs. are lords of the manor. Chediston Hall, the seat of Thomas Rant, Esq., is a fine edifice of the Elizabethan style.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Lodge Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Chediston:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chediston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Chediston has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.