"CHELMONDISTON, a parish in the hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles S.E. of Ipswich, its post town. It is situated on the river Orwell, near its mouth. The Great Eastern railway passes within 4 miles of the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £347, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice. The register is modern, 1727 being its earliest date. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels, and there is a National school. A trade is carried on in septaria for Roman cement, which is dredged out of the sea off Harwich. J. Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)