"CHILTON, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 12 mile N.E. of Sudbury, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the river Stour, which bounds it on the W. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £208, and in the patronage of W. C. Parmenter, Esq. W. H. Windham, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The principal residence is Chilton Lodge."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Chilton:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Chilton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.