"CLAYDON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, in the county of Suffolk, 7 miles from Stowmarket, and 32 1 N.W. of Ipswich. It is situated on the Gipping, a tributary of the river Orwell, near the Great Eastern railway. In the parish are extensive lime-kilns, a whiting manufactory, and chalk-pits for burning lime. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich; value with the rectory of Akenham annexed, £549, in the patronage of Miss E. Drury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient small structure partly in the Saxon style of architecture, consisting of nave, transepts, south porch, chancel, and tower. The Independents have a chapel here. Near the Hall are remains of an old Saxon castle. Sir W. T. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Church Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Claydon:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Claydon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.