"CLAYDON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, in the county of Suffolk, 7 miles from Stowmarket, and 32 1 N.W. of Ipswich. It is situated on the Gipping, a tributary of the river Orwell, near the Great Eastern railway. In the parish are extensive lime-kilns, a whiting manufactory, and chalk-pits for burning lime. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich; value with the rectory of Akenham annexed, £549, in the patronage of Miss E. Drury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient small structure partly in the Saxon style of architecture, consisting of nave, transepts, south porch, chancel, and tower. The Independents have a chapel here. Near the Hall are remains of an old Saxon castle. Sir W. T. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)