"CLOPTON, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, in the county of Suffolk, 3½ miles N.W. of Woodbridge, and 6 N.E. of Ipswich. There is a small tract of common. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £720, in the patronage of Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient structure. The charities amount to £34 per annum, chiefly derived from the rent of the town-lands. Fossil remains, in large quantities, are found in the sand-pits."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)