"COCKFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 5½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's and 8 W. of Stowmarket. It contains the hamlets of Windsor Green, Cross Green, Chester Green, Old Hall Green, Button Green, Parsonage Green, Stow's Hill, Earl's Court, and Great Cockfield Green. The manor formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, and was afterwards held by the De Veres, earls of Oxford, who resided at Earl's Court. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £635, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an old flint structure in the perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and tower, and contains a beautiful monument to the Harveys. The charities amount to £9 per annum.* Here is a chapel for the Independents and a National school. The Messrs. Manning are lords of the manor. Cockfield Hall was the seat of the Brookes."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)