"COMBS, a parish in the hundred of Stow, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles from Needham Market and 1½ S. of Stowmarket. It is situated on the river Orwell. There is a large tannery where a great number of men are employed. The parish is divided into two manors, Bevants and Combs; the Rev. R. Daniel is lord of the former, and the Earl of Ashburnham of the latter. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Norwich, value £880, in the patronage of the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Combs:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Combs area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Combs has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.