"COMBS, a parish in the hundred of Stow, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles from Needham Market and 1½ S. of Stowmarket. It is situated on the river Orwell. There is a large tannery where a great number of men are employed. The parish is divided into two manors, Bevants and Combs; the Rev. R. Daniel is lord of the former, and the Earl of Ashburnham of the latter. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Norwich, value £880, in the patronage of the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Combs:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Combs area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Combs has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview