"COMBS, a parish in the hundred of Stow, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles from Needham Market and 1½ S. of Stowmarket. It is situated on the river Orwell. There is a large tannery where a great number of men are employed. The parish is divided into two manors, Bevants and Combs; the Rev. R. Daniel is lord of the former, and the Earl of Ashburnham of the latter. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Norwich, value £880, in the patronage of the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)