"CORTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles N. of Lowestoft, and 6 S. of Yarmouth. The village commands a fine view of the sea, and is a coastguard station. The sea is gradually encroaching upon the cliffs, and has swept away an entire parish, called Newton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £119, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was once a spacious structure, but only the chancel and tower are now remaining, besides a part of the nave restored by the present vicar. The charities amount to £18 per annum. Bones of the mammoth, and other geological specimens, have been found here. Sir Francis Crossley, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)