"COTTON, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, in the county of Suffolk, 4½ miles N.E. of Stowmarket, its post town, and 2½ N.W. of Mendlesham. The Great Eastern railway passes within a few miles. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £355, in the patronage of M. Turner, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a richly ornamented porch. The charities amount to £12 per annum. Here are two Wesleyan chapels. C. Tyrell, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)