"COVEHITHE, (or North Hales), a parish in the hundred of Blything, in the county of Suffolk, 3½ miles N.E. of Southwold, and 5 E. of Wangford, its post town. The land is marshy, and the village much decayed. In former times the inhabitants were engaged in the fisheries, and cloth was manufactured. The living is a discharged vicarage annexed to the rectory of Benacre, in the diocese of Norwich, value £28, in the patronage of the trustees of the late Air Edward S. Gooch, Bart., who are lords of the manor, the present baronet being a minor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a handsome tower. The charities amount to £25 per annum. Here is a parochial school for both sexes. Bishop Bale, the antiquary, was born here in 1495.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)