"CULFORD, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, in the county of Suffolk, 4½ miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It is situated on the river Lark, and formerly belonged to Bury Abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value with the rectories* of Ingham and Timworth, £549, in the patronage of R. B. De Beauvoir, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of chancel, nave, and tower. It was built in 1591, and contains tombs of the Bacon family. Here are Culford, Fornham, St. Genevive, and Hengrave parks. The Rev. E. R. Benyon, M.A., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)