"DENNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles N. of Framlingham. This parish is principally the property of the Earl of Stradbroke. Edward IV. granted by letters patent to the dukes of Norfolk, the liberty of appointing a coroner for this and thirteen neighbouring parishes, which privilege is still retained. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £841, in the patronage of the Rev. E. C. Alston. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome structure, built of flint and stone. It has a lofty square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, and at the end of both aisles are chantry chapels, separated from the nave and aisles by screen-work. It contains monuments of the Rouses of Dennington Hall, the Wingfields, and of Sir William Philip, who fought at Agincourt. The charities amount to £90 per annum. The Earl of Stradbroke is lord of the manor, and takes his title of Baron Rouse of Dennington from this place. Dean Colet, founder of Paul's School, and Dr. William Fulke, were rectors of this parish. In the vicinity several Saxon and Celtic antiquities have been found."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, B1116 -village centre-, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Dennington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Dennington to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.