"DENNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles N. of Framlingham. This parish is principally the property of the Earl of Stradbroke. Edward IV. granted by letters patent to the dukes of Norfolk, the liberty of appointing a coroner for this and thirteen neighbouring parishes, which privilege is still retained. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £841, in the patronage of the Rev. E. C. Alston. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome structure, built of flint and stone. It has a lofty square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, and at the end of both aisles are chantry chapels, separated from the nave and aisles by screen-work. It contains monuments of the Rouses of Dennington Hall, the Wingfields, and of Sir William Philip, who fought at Agincourt. The charities amount to £90 per annum. The Earl of Stradbroke is lord of the manor, and takes his title of Baron Rouse of Dennington from this place. Dean Colet, founder of Paul's School, and Dr. William Fulke, were rectors of this parish. In the vicinity several Saxon and Celtic antiquities have been found."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)