"DEPDEN, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, in the county of Suffolk, 7 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 6½ N.E. of Clare, The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The land is chiefly arable, with a small tract of common. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Ely, value £425, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an old brick and stone structure, recently repaired and enlarged. It contains a brass to Lady Ann Jermyn, and several stained glass windows; also a valuable communion service, the gift of Anthony Sparrow, who was successively Bishop of Exeter and Norwich, and a native of this place. The churchyard, extending over nearly two acres of ground, is tastefully laid out and kept in good order. There is a free school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Sir R. Shafto Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)