"EARL SOHAM, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 3 miles E. of Debenham, and 4 W. of Framlingham station on the Great Eastern railway. Wickham-Market is its post town. It was formerly a market town, but is now a village. The manor anciently belonged to the Bigods, earls of Norfolk, from which circumstance it takes the prefix to its name. Near the village is Soham Lodge, an old moated house of the Cornwallises. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £515. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some small charities. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel, and there is a free school. A fair is held on the 4th August.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Chapel [now Baptist Church], Low Road, Particular Baptist
- St Mary, Church Lane, Church of England
- Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Earl Soham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Earl Soham to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.