"EARL SOHAM, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 3 miles E. of Debenham, and 4 W. of Framlingham station on the Great Eastern railway. Wickham-Market is its post town. It was formerly a market town, but is now a village. The manor anciently belonged to the Bigods, earls of Norfolk, from which circumstance it takes the prefix to its name. Near the village is Soham Lodge, an old moated house of the Cornwallises. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £515. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some small charities. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel, and there is a free school. A fair is held on the 4th August.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)