"EASTON BAVENTS, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 1 mile N. of Southwold. It is situated on the coast, and was once a market town, but owing to the inroads made by the sea it has almost disappeared, and the parish, now comprising only 300 acres, is nearly without inhabitants. Before the promontory called Easton Ness was washed away the parish was considered the most eastern point of land in the kingdom. It formerly belonged to Thomas de Bavent, from whom it takes its suffix. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Benacre, in the diocese of Norwich. The church has long been in ruins, and the greater part of the stones have been washed away by the waves. The scenery along the coast is picturesque, and on the N. side of the parish is a fine sheet of water called Easton Broad."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Easton Bavents:
- St Nicholas, In North Sea [gone], Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Easton Bavents area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Easton Bavents has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.