"EDWARDSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Boxford, and 4 E. of Sudbury, which is the nearest railway station on the Great Eastern line. Colchester is its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Stour. In the early part of the 12th century a cell to Abingdon Abbey was formed here, and afterwards given to Colne Priory. The bishops of Ely are the proprietors. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £203. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a brass. There is a National school. A fair is held on the 24th December."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)