"ELMSWELL, a parish in the hundred of Blackburn, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, and 1 mile N. of Woolpit, its post town It is a station on the Great Eastern line. The abbots of Bury St. Edmund's at one time had a seat here, which was given by James I. to Sir Robert Gardiner, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £404. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to St. John. Its walls are strengthened by buttresses, and the tower is lofty. It contains a curious antique font and carved screen, also a marble monument to Sir Robert Gardiner, and several tablets. The charities are Gardiner's almshouses for six poor women, with an endowment producing about £40 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school for both sexes, also one belonging to the Wesleyans. A fair is held on the 1st November."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Elmswell:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Elmswell has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.