"ERWARTON, (or Arwerton) a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Harwich, and 9 S.E. of Ipswich. Shotley is its post town. It is situated on the N. bank of the navigable river, and was formerly a market town in the possession of the Bacon family. It afterwards passed to the Drurys and Parkers, whose seat was Erwarton Hall, a structure in the Elizabethan style of architecture, now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value with the rectory of Wolverstone annexed, £484. The church is an elegant structure, dedicated to St. Mary. It has recently been restored, and contains monuments of the Davelles, or Daveillers, and of the Calthorpe and Parker families. The register commences in 1558. The charities are Parker's almshouses, built about the middle of the last century, and a property for the poor producing about £7 per annum. John Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor. There is a National school.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)