"FALKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.E. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Deben, near its mouth. The village is small. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £291, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a neat brick edifice dedicated to St. Ethelbert. The charities amount to about £15 per annum. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a National school. The Duke of Hamilton is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Ethelbert, Lower Falkenham Road, Church of England
- Churches in Falkenham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Falkenham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.