"FARNHAM, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Saxmundham, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Woodbridge. The Wickham Market station on the Great Eastern line is nearly 3 miles S.W. of the village, which is very small. Sand is obtained here in large quantities. The river Alde flows past the parish on the W. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Norwich, value £78. The church is a Norman structure, with flint tower, and is dedicated to St. Mary. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge. William Long, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)