"FELIXSTOW, (or Felstow), a parish in the hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Landguard Fort, 9 S.E. of Woodbridge, and 12 S. E. of Ipswich, its post town. It is situated at the mouths of the rivers Deben and Stour. The parish consists of a small cape stretching into the North Sea, on the extreme S. of the county. A monastery was founded here about the middle of the 12th century by Roger Bigod, which, after the suppression of monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII., was given to Cardinal Wolsey for his intended colleges. Landguard Fort is a military depôt, and has grounds for rifle practice. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Walton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is a brick edifice, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There are charities for the poor producing about £17 per annum. In the neighbourhood are remains of ancient fortifications and of the old Hall. The Duke of Hamilton is lord of the manor. There are several good residences, and the place is much frequented for the purposes of sea-bathing. In the vicinity a number of Roman coins have been found.
"LANDGUARD FORT, in the parish of Felixstow, hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 12 miles S.E. of Ipswich, and 1½ mile from Harwich. There is a chapel for the garrison. See Harwich."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)