"FLIXTON St Mary, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S.W. of Bungay, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Halesworth. It is bounded on the N. by the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. An Austin nunnery was founded here in 1258 by Margery de Creek, the revenues of which were valued at the Dissolution at £23 48. 11d. per annum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £140. The church is a structure of the middle ages, dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1559. The charities consist of a land allotment, the rental of which is applied to church purposes, and about £60 per annum from funded property for the benefit of the poor. There is a parochial school. Flixton Hall, the seat of Sir R. S. Adair, is a mansion of recent erection on the site of one designed and built by Inigo Jones, which was destroyed by fire in 1846. The present edifice is in the Gothic style, and stands in an extensive and well-stocked park. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)