"FLOWTON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Hadleigh, and 6 N.W. of Ipswich, its post town. The Bramford station on the Great Eastern line is about 3 miles S.E. of the village. The parish is of small extent, and the village wholly agricultural. The lying is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £140. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1572. There are some small charities for the poor. Flowton Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)