FORNHAM ALL SAINTS
"FORNHAM ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of Thinghoe, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and railway station on the Great Eastern line. The river Lark flows through the parish, which is generally flat except towards the S., where it rises into an elevation called Fort Hill. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory * in the diocese of Norwich, value with that of Westley annexed, £738, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is a small structure, dedicated to All Saints. It has a brass of one of the Barwicke family dated 1599. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There are remains of a Franciscan monastery called Babwell, now converted into a dwelling-house. Sir Thomas R. Gage, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- All Saints, Aldridge Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Fornham All Saints:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Fornham All Saints area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Fornham All Saints has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.