"FORNHAM ST. MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1 mile to the N. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It is situated on the river Lark, which is here navigable. The road from Bury to Thetford passes through the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £305. The church is a substantial structure, and has a peal of six bells. The charities yield a yearly income of about £5. There is a free school for both sexes. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1817."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)