"FRAMLINGHAM, a parish, market and post town, in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 7 miles W. of Saxmundham, 14 N.E. of Ipswich, and 87 from London by road, or 90 by rail. It is situated on the river Alde, and is the terminus of a branch line of the Great Eastern railway. A castle of immense strength was built here in early times; some say by Redwald, King of the East Saxons, towards the close of the 6th century, and rebuilt by the famous Hugh Bigod. Edmund the Martyr was besieged in it by the Danes. Queen Mary retired to it on the death of her brother, Edward VI., and here received intelligence of the proclamation of Lady Jane. The Mowbrays long held possession of this demesne, which afterwards passed to the Howard or Norfolk family, and was by them sold to Sir Robert Hitcham, who presented it to Pembroke Hall, Cambridge. The town is ancient, and the principal trade carried on is in corn. It is a polling-place for the eastern division of the county, and petty sessions are held here fortnightly on Friday. It contains a good market-place, corn exchange standing on the site of an ancient cross, bank, savings-bank, and police station.
There are free and subscription libraries, and societies for the promotion of agricultural and domestic science. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value with the curacy of Saxted annexed, of £1,201, in the patronage of Pembroke Hall. The church is a handsome structure of flint, with a fine tower nearly 100 feet in height, containing a peal of eight bells. The interior of the roof is elaborately carved, and supported by pillars of an octagonal form. It is dedicated to St. Michael, and contains many tombs, effigies, and monuments of the Howards, Fitzroys, Earl of Surrey, and others. The earliest date of the register is 1560. The charitable endowments consist of Sir Robert Hitcham's almshouses for twelve persons, with free school, Mr. Thomas Mills' almshouses, with free school, and other bequests for the poor, producing upwards of £700 per annum. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians have chapels, and there are several schools for the instruction of the youth of both sexes. Extensive remains of the ancient castle are still standing; they consist of massive walls, towers nearly 60 feet high, and a gateway carved with numerous heraldic devices. In the neighbourhood are some fine old oak-trees. The Master and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, are the lords of the manors of Framlingham and Saxted. Saturday is market day for grain and general produce. Fairs are held on Whit Monday and Tuesday, and on the 11th October."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Framlingham:
- Church, Fore Street, Congregational
- Chapel, Framlingham College-College Road, Church of England
- St Michael, Church Street, Church of England
- Meeting Place, Temperance Hall-Albert Road, Primitive Methodist
- Church [now URC], Albert Place, Wesleyan Methodist
- Meeting Place, Corn Exchange-Market Hill, Wesleyan Reform
- Chapel, Albert Road, Plymouth Brethren
- Unitarian Meeting House [was Presbyterian], Bridge Street, Unitarian
- St Clare, Fore Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Framlingham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Church, Fore Street, Congregational
- A description of Framlingham transcribed from Stephen Whatley's "Gazetteer of England" (1750) by Mel Lockie © 2011.
" FRAMLINGHAM, (Suffolk) 74 cm. 86 mm. from London, is a large old T. with a castle, supposed to have been built by some of the first Ks. of the East-Angles; the walls, yet standing, are 44 foot high, 8 thick, with 13 towers 14 foot above them, 2 of which are watch-towers. To this castle the Pfs. afterwards Q. Mary I. retired, when the lady Jane Grey was her competitor for the crown. After it had been in sundry families, the last of which were the Veres Es. of Oxford, and the Howards Ds. of Norfolk, it was sold, together with the Lp. to Sir Rob. Hitcham, who gave them to Pembroke-Hall, Cambridge. The T. stands pleasantly, though but indifferently built, upon a clay hill, in a fruitful soil and a healthy air, near the source of the r. Ore, by some called Winckel, which runs through it to Orford. It has a spacious place for the Mt. on S. and a large stately Ch. built all of black flint, with a steeple 100 foot high. Here are 2 good almshos. one founded by Sir Rob. Hitcham, in 1654, who also founded a fr. sc. here; the other, about 1704, by the trustees of Mr. Mills, a baptist-minister. Its Fairs are Whit-Mon. Tu. and Wed. and Sept. 29. "
- Details of the administrative areas of which Framlingham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
The Framlingham Historical Photo Archive contains a selection of photographs which capture the town of Framlingham and its people over a period of approximately 100 years.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.