"FRAMSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Thredling, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Debenham, and 9 E. of Stowmarket. Stonham is its post town. The parish is watered by a small stream called the Deben. The surface is gently undulating, and the soil a mixture of clay, gravel, and loam. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £260. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a fine Gothic structure with a square embattled tower, recently repaired and beautified. T. Tollemache, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are some remains of a monastery, now converted into a farmhouse, the hall of which has a roof of richly carved oak. A fair is held on Holy Thursday for the sale of live stock."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Framsden:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Framsden area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.