"FRECKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Mildenhall, and 5 N.E. of Newmarket. Soham is its post town. It is situated near the borders of Cambridge, from which it is separated by the river Lark, which is here navigable. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1815. The living is a vicarage and rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £600, in the patronage of Peter House, Cambridge. The church is an ancient stone edifice; the roof is of thatch, and the interior contains some curious specimens of carved work. It is dedicated to St. Andrew. The register commences in 1558. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Near the church is a mound surrounded by a deep entrenchment, supposed to be the site of an ancient fortification."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)