"FRECKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Mildenhall, and 5 N.E. of Newmarket. Soham is its post town. It is situated near the borders of Cambridge, from which it is separated by the river Lark, which is here navigable. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1815. The living is a vicarage and rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £600, in the patronage of Peter House, Cambridge. The church is an ancient stone edifice; the roof is of thatch, and the interior contains some curious specimens of carved work. It is dedicated to St. Andrew. The register commences in 1558. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Near the church is a mound surrounded by a deep entrenchment, supposed to be the site of an ancient fortification."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Freckenham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Freckenham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Freckenham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.