"GAZELEY, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 5 miles E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 8 W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The Higham station on the Newmarket and Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway, is about 2 miles N.E. of the village, which is situated on rising ground. The parish includes the hamlets of Higham and Needham Street. The old Roman highway, Icknield Street, passes in the vicinity. In the Domesday Survey this place is called Desilingham, and formerly belonged to the earls of Gloucester. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1838. Brick-making is carried on, and chalk is obtained in large quantities. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value with the rectory of Kentford annexed, £541, in the patronage of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to All Saints. There is also the district church of Higham Green, a perpetual curacy,* value £63, in the patronage of the above Hall. The register dates from the middle of the 16th century. There are a few small charities. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a British school for both sexes. There are two manors, viz: Higham and Abthorpe."
"HIGHAM-GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Gazeley, hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.E. of Newmarket, and the same distance W. of Bury St. Edmund's, The principal residence is Higham Hall, the ancient seat of the Heigham family, from whom the hamlet took its name."
"NEEDHAM STREET, a hamlet in the parish of Gazeley, county Suffolk, 5 miles E. of Newmarket."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)