"GLEMSFORD, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Clare, and 5 N.W. of Sudbury, its post town. The river Stour flows by the parish on the S. Edward the Confessor founded a college here for the clergy. In the Domesday Survey it is entered as held by Earl Odo. The chief employments of the people are the preparation and weaving of silk and woollen stuffs, and the working of cocoa-nut fibre and horse hair. The living is a rectory'* in the diocese of Ely, value £582, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an old building of handsome proportions, with a tower falling to decay. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and is situated on an eminence. The register dates from the year 1550. The parochial endowments produce about £35 per annum. The Independents and Baptists have each a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls. Edmund Stedman, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)