We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer, 1868

Gorleston - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868



"GORLESTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S. of Yarmouth, its post town. It is situated in the north-eastern extremity of the county, at the mouth of the river Yare, which is here crossed by a bridge. The parish includes the village of Little Yarmouth, forming a suburb of the borough of Great Yarmouth. Part of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. Near the village is a column to Lord Nelson. Several handsome terraces have recently been erected for the accommodation of visitors resorting here for the sea-bathing. The houses command a fine view of the river and sea. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £243 17s., and the vicarial for £214 15s. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory* of South Town and West Town, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is a large ancient structure dedicated to St. Andrew. The steeple, which served as a landmark for vessels passing through Yarmouth Roads, was blown down in 1835. There is also a chapel-of-ease at South Town, dedicated to St. Mary. It contains a brass of a knight of the early part of the 14th century. An Augustine monastery stood here temp. Edward I., and in 1372 there was a leper hospital. There are ruins of an ancient church, and near the sea-shore is the racecourse."

"NEST TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, county Suffolk, near Yarmouth."

"SOUTH-TOWN, (or Little Yarmouth), a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, county Suffolk, 1 mile from Yarmouth, its post town, and 9 miles from Lowestoft. It is situated on the river Yare, opposite Yarmouth, of which it constitutes a large suburb. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries and in shipbuilding. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Gorleston, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is in ruins.

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003