Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Great and Little Whelnetham
"GREAT and LITTLE WHELNETHAM, two adjoining parishes in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's. There appears to have been a Roman colony, from the number of antiquities which have been dug up, and at Great Whelnetham was a priory of Crouched Friars, subordinate to the principal house of that order near the Tower of London. The village of Sicklesmere is situated on the borders of these two parishes. The livings are both rectories* in the diocese of Ely, the former value £405, and the latter £155. There is a parochial school for both sexes. A pleasure fair is held on Whit Monday. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor.
"SICKLESMERE, a hamlet in the parish of Great_and_Little Whelnetham, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Great and Little Whelnetham which are provided by:
Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Great and Little Whelnetham to another place.
- A description of Great and Little Whelnetham transcribed from Stephen Whatley's "Gazetteer of England" (1750) by Mel Lockie © 2011.
" WENHAM-GREAT and LITTLE, (Suffolk) or WELNETHAM, as it is called in the records, stands on the r. Breton, near St. Edmundsbury. At the former have been dug up a great many platters and potsherds of Roman earth, some of which had inscriptions on them, as also coals, urns, ashes, bones and horns of cattle, a sacrificing-knife, etc. Little-Wenham-Hall, which seems to have been a noble old building, was formerly the seat of the Bruce's family, and is now Mrs. Thurston's. "
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL885599 (Lat/Lon: 52.205041, 0.757219), Great and Little Whelnetham which are provided by: