"GREAT BARTON, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles to the N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town and nearest railway station. The living is a discharged vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, valued in the king's books at £10 15s. 7½d., now worth about £400, in the patronage of Sir H. E. Bunbury, Bart., who is also lord of the manor, and owner of the greater part of the parish. The church is a neat structure dedicated to the Holy Innocents, and has several old monuments of the Cotton family, the brasses from which have disappeared. There are charitable endowments amounting to £97 per annum, besides four almshouses for poor widows endowed by the late Lady Banbury. Barton Hall is the seat of the Bunburys.
"BARTON SHRUBS, a hamlet in the parish of Great Barton, in the hundred of Thedwestry, and county of Suffolk, about 2 miles from Bury St. Edmund's."
"EAST BARTON, a hamlet in the parish of Great Barton, in the hundred of Thedwestry, and county of Suffolk. It is situated to the S.E. of the village of Great Barton, and about 2 miles from Bury St. Edmund's.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)