"GREAT BLAKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the S. of Needham Market. Soon after the Conquest a small Benedictine priory was founded here, as a cell to the abbey of Bee, in Normandy, to which the manor had been given. On the suppression of alien priories, the manor was granted to the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £166, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Great Eastern railway and the Stowmarket and Ipswich canal pass near this place.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)