"GREAT BLAKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the S. of Needham Market. Soon after the Conquest a small Benedictine priory was founded here, as a cell to the abbey of Bee, in Normandy, to which the manor had been given. On the suppression of alien priories, the manor was granted to the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £166, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Great Eastern railway and the Stowmarket and Ipswich canal pass near this place.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Great Blakenham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Great Blakenham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Great Blakenham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.