"GREAT FINBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, its post town and railway station on the Great Eastern line. The river Orwell flows through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £130, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains monuments of the Wollaston family, one of whom was the author of the "Religion of Nature." The charitable endowments produce above £50 per annum. The Independents have a chapel. R. J. Pettiward, Esq., is lord of the manor. Finborough Hall, the principal residence, is situated in a well-wooded park, embellished with a sheet of water 140 acres in extent.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)