"GREAT FINBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, its post town and railway station on the Great Eastern line. The river Orwell flows through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £130, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains monuments of the Wollaston family, one of whom was the author of the "Religion of Nature." The charitable endowments produce above £50 per annum. The Independents have a chapel. R. J. Pettiward, Esq., is lord of the manor. Finborough Hall, the principal residence, is situated in a well-wooded park, embellished with a sheet of water 140 acres in extent.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Great Finborough:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Great Finborough area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Great Finborough has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.