"GREAT SAXHAM, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It is a station on the Cambridge, Newmarket, and Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Lark, and is wholly agricultural. The manor once belonged to Bury Abbey, and came to the Eldreds, who erected Nutmeg Hall. The soil is of a mixed nature, with a clayey subsoil. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £369, and the glebe comprises 13 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £330. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three belle. There are two memorial windows in the chancel, also a painted E. window over the communion table. The interior contains monuments to the Eldred family. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum. There are day and Sunday schools. Saxham Hall, the residence of the Millses, is a square stone mansion situated in the centre of a well-wooded park. William Mills, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)