"GREAT THURLOW, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 10 miles S.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Haverhill. It is situated on a branch of the river Stour. A hospital or free chapel was founded here in the reign of Richard II., as a cell to Hautpays, or "De Alto Passu," and was given by Edward IV. to King's College, Cambridge. Great Thurlow Hall was the seat of the Vernon family. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £300. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)