"GREAT THURLOW, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 10 miles S.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Haverhill. It is situated on a branch of the river Stour. A hospital or free chapel was founded here in the reign of Richard II., as a cell to Hautpays, or "De Alto Passu," and was given by Edward IV. to King's College, Cambridge. Great Thurlow Hall was the seat of the Vernon family. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £300. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Great Thurlow:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Great Thurlow area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Great Thurlow has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.