"GROTON, a parish in the hundred of Baberg, county Suffolk, 4½ miles W. of Hadleigh, 6 E. of Sudbury, and 1 N.W. of Boxford, its post town. There are railway stations at both Hadleigh and Sudbury. This place was formerly the lordship of the abbots of Bury St. Edmund's, and at the Dissolution was given to the Winthorp family. The village is considerable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £449. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There are almshouses for four persons, with gardens attached, also a village school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)