"GRUNDISBURGH, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on a tributary of the river Deben. The Bealings station on the Ipswich and Wickham Market branch of the Great Eastern line of railway is about 21 miles S. of the village, which is considerable. There are pits from which clays obtained. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £527 138. 4d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £472, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Mary, with a handsome roof. The register commences in the reign of Edward VI. The parochial endowments, including rental of cottages, and 28 acres of land called the "Town Estate," produce nearly £50 per annum. The Baptists have a good chapel. Grundisburgh Hall, the principal residence, was formerly the seat of the Blois family."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)