"GRUNDISBURGH, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on a tributary of the river Deben. The Bealings station on the Ipswich and Wickham Market branch of the Great Eastern line of railway is about 21 miles S. of the village, which is considerable. There are pits from which clays obtained. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £527 138. 4d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £472, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Mary, with a handsome roof. The register commences in the reign of Edward VI. The parochial endowments, including rental of cottages, and 28 acres of land called the "Town Estate," produce nearly £50 per annum. The Baptists have a good chapel. Grundisburgh Hall, the principal residence, was formerly the seat of the Blois family."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, The Green, Church of England
- Churches in Grundisburgh:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Grundisburgh area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Grundisburgh has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.