"GUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 8 S. of Yarmouth. It is situated on the sea-coast, and has a fine view over the German Ocean. The village is very small. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 1145. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £149. The church, a small edifice with round tower, dedicated to St. Peter, was built in 1700. The two principal residences are the New and Old Halls."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)