"HARGRAVE, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The manor was formerly held by Bury Abbey, and afterwards came to the Kitsons and Gages. The soil is clayey and loamy, and the land chiefly arable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £188. The church is an ancient structure with tower of brick, of later date, containing three bells. The register commences in the middle of the 16th century. The charities produce about £22 per annum. There is a parochial school. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor."
"SOUTHWELL-PARK, a liberty in the parish of Hargrave, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Edmund, Church Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Hargrave:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hargrave area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- The transcription of the section for Hargrave from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Hargrave has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.