"HARKSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 7 miles E. of the Manningtree railway station, and the same S. of Ipswich, its post town. It is situated near the river Stour, and at the time of the Domesday Survey it was held by Odo-de-Campania. Here was formerly an ancient chapel dedicated to St. Clement. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £518. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with square tower containing five bells. The register dates from the beginning of the 17th century. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. John Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)