"HARTEST, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 9 miles N.W. of Sudbury, and 7 N.E. of Clare. Bury St. Edmund's is its post town. The village is considerable, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for a rent-charge of £605. The living is a rectory* united with the rectory of Boxted, in the diocese of Ely, value £652, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1556. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, two-thirds of which is the endowment of Sparks's free school, and two cottages for the poor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)