"HAUGHLEY, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Stowmarket. There is a railway station at Haughley Junction, where the Bury branch joins the main line of the Great Eastern, and where are also the connecting branch of the Peterborough and Midland lines. The road from Bury St. Edmund's to Ipswich passes through the parish. It was the head of an honour or barony, under the appellation of Hagenet; and there are still some traces of a very strong castle, supposed to have been of Roman or Saxon origin, which belonged to the Uffords, De la Poles, and Brandons, earls and dukes of Suffolk. It was dismantled by Robert Earl of Leicester, in 1173, and the ruins of the works still extend over 7 acres. The parish is divided into the districts of Tothill, New Street, Old Street, and Haughley Green. This place, which is now only a straggling village, was, previous to the reign of Henry VIII., a market town, and has town lands, consisting of 7 acres 20 roods, under the management of the churchwardens and overseers.
In the vicinity are Haughley Park, the residence and property of the Rev. W. H. Crawford, who is lord of the manor; Tothill House; and Plashwood, the residence of Charles Tyrrel, Esq. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, commutation value £305. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large structure, with a square embattled tower on the S.W. side. At the W. end is a window of seven lights, enriched with flowing tracery and the arms of Hales Abbey. The whole edifice was restored a few years ago. The register commences in 1558. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary contributions. Dr. Triplett's charity is applied as by deed of endowment, half-for the benefit of four scholars from Westminster School at the university, and half to bind out children of both sexes as apprentices in the parishes of Hayes, Middlesex, and Petersham, Surrey. A fair is held on the 25th August for toys."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)