"HAWKEDON, (or Hardon), a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.E. of Clare, and 9 S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village is small, but neatly built. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £360, with 50 acres of glebe awarded in 1841. The rectory house is a handsome structure built in 1850, and commands extensive views. The parish consists of the two manors of Thurston Hall and Hawkedon Hall; of the former H. J. Oakes, Esq., is lord, and of the latter J. E. Hale, Esq. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a tower containing five bells. It has a handsome E. window, several monuments and brasses, and a very old font. There is a National school, built in 1848.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)