"HELMINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 9 miles N.W. of Woodbridge, 9 N. of Ipswich, and 5 S. of Debenham. Stonham is its post town. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. This place has for many generations belonged to the ancient family of Tollemache. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £461, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower of flint, and was erected in the reign of Henry VI. The interior has sittings of carved oak, and some fine stained windows, with numerous tombs of the Tollemaches of Helmingham Hall. It was thoroughly restored in 1845 at the expense of John Tollemache, Esq., M.P. The charities produce £1 per annum. Here is a school, erected in 1853. Helmingham Hall, built in the reign of Henry VIII., and visited by Queen Elizabeth, is the seat of John Tollemache, Esq., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. It has been much improved of late years, at a considerable expense. The hall contains a choice collection of pictures, armour, &c. It is surrounded by a moat, in which are some wild fowl. The park contains many fine oaks, and is well stocked with deer."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)